Now that I’ve fully recovered from my Sunday Oscar party, I’d like to point your attention to some Best Picture readalikes, provided by our fantastic auxiliary librarian, Shannon:
Many of this year’s best picture nominations were based off of non-fiction titles, including American Hustle (The Sting Man), Captain Phillips (A Captain’s Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALs, and Dangerous Days at Sea) and 12 Years a Slave. Yet another reminder that for every great movie, you don’t have to look far for a great book!
In this edition of Read This, Watch That, we’ve put together some materials inspired by a few of this year’s best picture nominations. Enjoy!
- The Pirates of Somalia: Inside their Hidden World by Jay Bahadur
- Terror on the Seas: True Tales of Modern-day Pirates by Daniel Sekulich
- Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside the industry that puts clothes on your Back, Gas in your Car and Food on your Plate by Rose George
- An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield
- The Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Koppel
- The State of the Universe: A Primer in Modern Cosmology by Pedro Ferreira
- Magnificent Desolation: The Long Journey Home from the Moon by Buzz Aldrin
- My Dream of the Stars: From Daughter of Iran to Space Pioneer by Anousheh Ansari
- We Were Here (DVD)
- The AIDS Conspiracy by Nicoli Nattrass
- The Scientists by Marco Roth
- Fairyland: a memoir of my father by Alysia Abbott
- Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer
- Alone Together: Why we expect more from technology and less from each other by Sherry Turkle
- Data, a Love Story by Amy Webb
- 12 Years A Slave: A True Story of Betrayal, Kidnap and Slavery by Solomon Northup
- Narratives in the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave by Frederick Douglass
- The Trader, the Owner, the Slave: Parallel Lives in the Age of Slavery by James Walvin
Thanks to Shannon for this awesome list!